Friday, May 18, 2012

Clay Robots 4th/5th Grade

We looked at artwork from many contemporary artists that specialize in recycled robot sculpture (Gordon Bennett, Jason Lane, Ann P. Smith)!  We talked about how much our culture and life style has changed in the past 30, 50, 100 years - especially in terms of technology!

I asked them why I hadn't showed them any "famous" or "old" robot art - and we discovered that robots are a fairly new idea for humans!  I also talked with them a little about the Industrial Revolution and how it's becoming more popular to use "waste" or "recyclables" to make artwork - another relatively new phenomenon.

So, we busted out the slab rolled (I busted it out at 7pm at night, is what I mean) and I pre-rolled a cylinder shape for them.  They COULD do this, but we are getting down to the wire and I promised them another fun 3D project so I did this step for them to save time.

They then added features of their robot with extra clay.  Many opted to make theirs into a "jar"  

( I should mention here that I saw this idea on pinterest here:  http://media-cache4.pinterest.com/upload/155163149631954901_UCQm94LO.jpg)  

I fired them, and today many got painted!!!  Here are some of them:










No comments:

Post a Comment