Sunday, January 22, 2012

2nd grade cubism guitars in oil pastel

So, first of all, I need to give credit to this blog for this lesson:  http://greenbayartroom.blogspot.com/

This was done with 2nd graders!  I showed them images of Picasso's Blue Period, Rose Period and Cubism Period.  We talked about the differences between them and WHY would Picasso paint so "abstractly" when he was able to paint very realistically?  It was a fun discussion!

We used a guitar (though some students were inspired by Picasso's mandolin!) as our subject and began with drawing a guitar BIG on the paper.  I encouraged them to make the guitar go OFF the page (something difficult to get them to do sometimes).

We used white oil pastel for the guitars, then black for the geometric cubism-like background lines.  Finally, students decorated their art with oil pastels, music note collage and glitter.  The collage was a nice touch since we saw a couple Picasso pieces where it was used.

One class used grey paper and the other used brown.  In the past I have been very loose with how the kids approach their artwork, but this time I ONLY gave them white pastels to begin with, then ONLY black for the background...then I let them have at it.  Just those 2 restrictions in the beginning I think helped keep their work from getting too...cluttered?  Anyway, I am pleased and I think the kids were very proud :)
   







No comments:

Post a Comment